placeRiad D'ari
19 Derb Raouia
Marrakech 40000
Morocco
phone +212 52 4380506

Jama’a El Fna Square

This attraction has always been loved by travellers visiting Marrakech. The square has nothing to offer in terms of famous sculptures or monuments, but, it attracts performers from all over. Every day, it hosts unique shows for locals and travellers. People can relax in the open Air Theatre. There are plenty of cafés around the square, so people can enjoy the performing acts and dancing while visiting the cafés. The performers are snake charmers, singers, story tellers and healers attracting a Moroccan audience. Food is exquisite, appetising and completes the package on offer. However, the main attraction remains the continuous performance of the artists of Jama’a El Fna Square.

The Koutoubia

The Koutoubia mosque is one of the main religious monuments of Marrakech. It 'topped the homonymous minaret built in the twelfth century. Which, together with the Giralda of Seville and the Hassan Tower in Rabat, one of the major architectural masterpieces made by the Almohad dynasty. Its name derives from the word "kutub" (from the root "write") and refers to the historical presence of vendors sacred books or scribes who served the illiterate.

Work began around 1150, shortly after the rise of the dynasty, and were completed by Sultan Ya ʿ qub al-Mansur (1184-1199). The architecture is typical Moroccan Almohad period: with decorations and ornaments tiled white, turquoise and blue and arabesques carved on the four different sides.

The Saadian tombs

The tombs in Marrakech date back from the time of the sultan Ahmad al-Mansur (1578-1603). The tombs were only recently discovered (in 1917) and were restored by the Beaux-arts service. The tombs have, because of the beauty of their decoration, been a major attraction for visitors of Marrakech.

The mausoleum comprises the corpses of about sixty members of the Saadi Dynasty that originated in the valley of the Draa River. Among the graves are those of Ahmad al-Mansur and his family. The building is composed of three rooms. The most famous is the room with the twelve columns. This room contains the grave of the son of the sultan's son Ahmad al-Mansur. The stele is in finely worked cedar wood and stucco work. The monuments are made of Italian Carrara marble.
Outside the building is a garden and the graves of soldiers and servants.

Bahia Palace

Commissioned in 1880 by the grand vizier Sidi Moussa, this palace is the crazy obsession of his master, who wanted at all costs to prevent his wives and concubines are met. For this reason, the great house looks like a huge maze: any trained eye can detect the complexity of the tangle of courts and gardens that extend for 8 acres. The powerful vizier he decided to build this palace for his favorite mistress, hence the name of Bahia, "the beautiful." It was to accommodate four wives, 24 concubines and their countless children without these women never noticing their respective gardens! A real challenge, the construction of which lasted ten years, and that monopolized the best craftsmen in the land, expropriating even many neighboring owners.

The souks and the old medina

The area to the north of the square is occupied Jema'a al-Fna souks: covered markets which are integrated into many narrow streets and small squares, each of which is dedicated to specific tasks: Sellers of leather, wool, coppersmiths, jewelers, dyers etc. . The souks extend to the Ben Youssef Mosque and the nearby medersa.

The Medersa Ben Youssef (Ibn Yusuf Madrasa) is open to the public and is particularly interesting: it takes place around a central courtyard and the building has numerous rooms for students. The building dates back to the fourteenth century and was founded by Sultan Abu al-Hasan, of the dynasty of the Merenides, and was almost completely rebuilt during the period sa'dide.

The central courtyard is surrounded on two sides by galleries, over which you open the windows of the cells of the students. On the bottom is the prayer hall, richly decorated with stucco and carvings. Artistic decorations and carvings on panels of cedar wood are visible all around the courtyard and above the tunnels.